Thursday, December 13, 2012

Wear Star Wars Share Star Wars Day


A Day that will live in scum and villainy...

That's right...I'm talking about that day in November 2010 when Katie Goldman was teased at school because she had a Star Wars water bottle. Not to worry, like the Rebel Squadron on a Death Star (take your pick DS I or DS II), the international Star Wars community rushed to Katie's aid. We, Star Wars fans, showed the world that not only is it cool to be a Star Wars fan girl, but that we've got each other's backs.

So on this 3rd annual Wear Star Wars Day, created to celebrate geek pride and anti-bullying, I will continue to wear Star Wars. 

If you have not done so, please Join Wear Star Wars Share Star Wars on Facebook; and also watch Jedi Camp (A 6 episode web series fan film, dealing with the bullying epidemic). While these two sites are not affiliated with each other they are both trying to do the same thing - end bullying and help kids build self-confidence. Abolishing harassment and building self-confidence is something both kids and adults need.

Bullying was something I had to deal with all the time as a little girl. I was teased for so many years, for so many things that by the time I was in junior high nothing was going to stop me from wearing my Luke Skywalker circa Return of the Jedi black suit to school. Remember, this was 1983 before Cosplay was cool. 

After begging my mother to buy the McCALLS, RETURN OF THE JEDI  © Lucasfilm Ltd. 1983, Sewing Pattern #8654 and sew it for me minus the iron-on transfer (I was going for authenticity.), I  wore it to school with pride.  I did have the inevitable schoolmate taunt and tease me. Like my forebears - Yoda, Obi-Wan and Luke Skywalker - I did not take the quick and easy path and FORCE choke them like I wanted to but ignored their jeers and scoffs. Regardless of what anyone said...I was a Jedi. That was the first day that I can remember beginning to feel comfortable in my own skin. 

The ideals and themes within the Star Wars universe helped me find the courage to be me. Maybe the best defense against bullying is a strong sense of self.

Will wearing Star Wars put an end to bullying? We won't know until we Do! Remember, there is no Try. 

Check out my reply on Star Wars.com


May the FORCE Be With You, Always!

Fangirl pics from top left to lower right: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 9

2 comments:

Please leave your thoughts and ideas about the above topic. Remember, to ensure that all comments are in a positive light and respectful of other bloggers, all comments will be moderated and reviewed before being posted.